Friday, October 24, 2008

Inching closer to treatment

All right....where should I begin? Today I went to the City of Hope to get lab work done, a chest x-ray, checked my lungs, and see my doctor. When I went to get my blood taken out for the lab work...they were going to use the picc line, but they were unable to get blood out of it. SO they had to use a needle instead (I requested a butterfly needle since they are thinner). They ordered a certain type of liquid (medicine; its like drano for my plastic tube) so that they can clear out the picc since it seemed to have developed a fiber flap that prevented blood from coming out, but allowed us to flush it. Next I went to check the functioning of my lungs. All I did was breathe in a tube in different ways. One of the tests required me to breathe in a tube for a few minutes and I could not swallow my spit, so when the tube was removed I drooled all over myself. After this I went to go see my doctor and instead they told me that they had scheduled a bone marrow biopsy. I had no idea they were going to, so I broke down into tears (see...I sure told them...hehe...then they paged my doctor). She came and we discussed why I needed to redo all of the tests I did in county. She said that they can put me under for the biopsy, so they rescheduled it for Tuesday of next week. I will also be going back for the PET and CT scan sometime next week. Lastly, Monday (November 3rd) will be my first day of treatment. I will be receiving the rituxan alone (which will take about 8 hours) through my picc. Then, one week later I will receive both the rituxan and the mixture of chemotherapy called ABVD.

No comments: